Thursday, December 20, 2007

Knitted Christmas Gift #7 Revealed!


Pattern: Basic Man Beanie for BIL N, my own pattern

Yarn: Knit Picks Wool of the Andes (Chocolate), Cascade 220 (Squirrel Heather), and Plymouth Tweed (Lemon Tweed)

Needles: Size 8 Brittnay Birch dpns


Reactions:

-Pattern: This is technically "my own pattern", but really, it's hardly a pattern. It's just k2, p2 around for about 10 inches over 72 stitches, and then k2tog around, then another k1, p1 around, then k2tog around and around until there are just a few stitches on the needles, then break yarn and weave the tail through the live stitches. Oh yeah, and I knitted a yellow tweedy stripe, outlined in a stone color. I see now that the pictures clearly show the jog, but due to the ribbing, this is much less noticeable in real life. I love a simple k2, p2 rib. So stretchy and versatile. See? The hat fits both N and his son, Lil MC!

-Yarn: Not much to be said here that I haven't already said about some good, basic worsted yarns (Wool of the Andes and Cascade 220). This was my first time using the Plymouth Tweed, though, and I really enjoyed it. The Lemon Tweed color is bright and wonderful, with crazy flecks of lime, orange, and white. The yardage is great, and Plymouth offers some other outlandishly bright colors that I'll have to try soon. As bright as it is on its own, it blends in and mellows well next to the neutrals used for the rest of the hat. My BIL likes it, and look how well it matches with his Powell's sweatshirt! He's asked for a matching scarf, which I will get to some time in the next 5 years.

No comments: